Current Teaching Position:
Reader in the History of Science, Technology and Education
Faculty of Education, University of Cambridge.
My current roles are mostly administrative, including my role as the Deputy Director of Learning and Teaching for the Faculty of Education and the co-course manager for the Secondary PGCE teacher education program. I continue to advise and supervise graduate students, particularly students in the MEd (Researching Practice) course. I supervise undergraduate students on the Emergence of Educational Systems and the Philosophy of Education Tripos papers, in addition to being the Director of Studies (DoS) for Education at Emmanuel College. Previously, I lead the Secondary PGCE History Course.
Previous University-Based Teaching Positions:
Assistant/Associate Professor, Faculty of Education, Simon Fraser University
Undergraduate-level (including teacher education) Courses Taught:
- EDUC 100: Selected Questions and Issues in Education (Spring, 2013)
- EDUC 230: Introduction to the Philosophy of Education (Fall, 2015)
- EDUC 416: Designs for Learning – Secondary Science (Summer, 2013; 2014; 2015; 2016)
- Various special topics and directed studies courses, including an innovative course about climate change devised for future teachers of social studies and history.
Masters-level Courses Taught:
- EDUC 859: Philosophy of Science and Perspectives on Education (Summer, 2013)
- EDUC 864: Introduction to Educational Research Methods (Summer, 2015)
- EDUC 866: Qualitative Methods in Educational Research (Fall, 2013; Summer 2014)
- EDUC 867: Advanced Qualitative Methods in Educational Research (Summer, 2016)
- Various courses in a cohort-based M.Ed. Science Education community-based program, including curriculum studies in science education, the philosophy of science, research methods, and supervision of comprehensive exams
- EDUC 890: Educational Media as Foundations of Curriculum (Fall, 2015)
Doctoral-level Courses Taught:
- EDUC 901: Seminar in the History of Educational Theory (Fall, 2016)
- EDUC 911: Colloquium in Curriculum Theory (Fall, 2014)
Continuing Studies Courses Taught
- SCFC783: Contemplating Modern Physics: Dark Matter, Superstrings, and Other Strange Things (Fall, 2013)
- SCFC895: Planets, Stars, Black Holes, and Cosmology (Fall, 2014)
- SCFC883: Victorian Science: An Era of Discovery (Spring, 2015)
- AHCP258: Science and the Supernatural (Summer, 2015)
- SCFC908: Onward to the Stars: A History of Human Spaceflight (Fall, 2015)
- SCFC937: To Boldly Go: Six Unresolved Questions in Physics (Spring, 2016)
Assistant Professor, Faculty of Education, UOIT (now Ontario Tech)
Undergraduate-level Courses Taught (BEd (teacher education)):
- CURS 4130U – I/S Curriculum Studies I: Physics
- CURS 4131U – I/S Curriculum Studies II: Physics
- CURS 4141U – I/S Curriculum Studies II: Mathematics
- EDUC 3511U – I/S Learning with ICT
Graduate-level Courses Taught (MA/MEd level):
- EDUC 5401G – Introduction to Adult Education & Higher Education
- EDUC 5404G – Teaching in an Adult Learning Environment
- EDUC 5405G – Digital Technologies in Adult Education
Graduate Teaching Fellow, Queen’s University
- PROF 191 – Theory and Professional Practice Course / Practicum Supervision,
- CURR 351/352 Physics Methods (co-taught with Professor Tom Russell)
Previous School (K-12) Teaching Positions
Language and Literacy Teacher, York Region District School Board
- Fully seconded secondary school teacher responsible for implementing district-wide “Learning Plus” initiative with a focus on developing literacy across the curriculum for a family of schools (secondary and elementary).
- Designed and offered ongoing professional development for teacher colleagues.
- Co-taught lessons across the elementary and secondary curricula with colleagues from a local family of schools.
Physics Teacher, Toronto District School Board
- Designed, implemented, and assessed science and physics curriculum for a mid-size Toronto secondary school.
- Supervised and supported students’ extra-curricular development through a variety of clubs, organizations, and field trips.
Previous Martial Arts Teaching Positions
- Assistant instructor, Kodokan Judo, Toronto
- Assistant instructor, Shaolin Kempo Karate and Jiu-jitsu, Toronto
- Head instructor, Shaolin Kempo Karate and Jiu-jitsu, Toronto
- Assistant instructor, Bartitsu Program, Vancouver