Current Teaching Position:
Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Education, University of Cambridge.
I am currently teach in the Secondary PGCE History Course.
Previous Academic Teaching Positions:
Assistant/Associate Professor, Faculty of Education, Simon Fraser University
Undergraduate-level (including teacher education) Courses Taught:
- EDUC 100: Selected Questions and Issues in Education (Spring, 2013)
- EDUC 230: Introduction to the Philosophy of Education (Fall, 2015)
- EDUC 416: Designs for Learning – Secondary Science (Summer, 2013; 2014; 2015; 2016)
- Various special topics and directed studies courses, including an innovative course about climate change devised for future teachers of social studies.
Masters-level Courses Taught:
- EDUC 859: Philosophy of Science and Perspectives on Education (Summer, 2013)
- EDUC 864: Introduction to Educational Research Methods (Summer, 2015)
- EDUC 866: Qualitative Methods in Educational Research (Fall, 2013; Summer 2014)
- EDUC 867: Advanced Qualitative Methods in Educational Research (Summer, 2016)
- Various courses in the M.Ed. Science Education community-based program
- EDUC 890: Educational Media as Foundations of Curriculum (Fall, 2015)
Doctoral-level Courses Taught:
- EDUC 901: Seminar in the History of Educational Theory (Fall, 2016)
- EDUC 911: Colloquium in Curriculum Theory (Fall, 2014)
Continuing Studies Courses Taught
- SCFC783: Contemplating Modern Physics: Dark Matter, Superstrings, and Other Strange Things (Fall, 2013)
- SCFC895: Planets, Stars, Black Holes, and Cosmology (Fall, 2014)
- SCFC883: Victorian Science: An Era of Discovery (Spring, 2015)
- AHCP258: Science and the Supernatural (Summer, 2015)
- SCFC908: Onward to the Stars: A History of Human Spaceflight (Fall, 2015)
- SCFC937: To Boldly Go: Six Unresolved Questions in Physics (Spring, 2016)
Assistant Professor, Faculty of Education, UOIT
Undergraduate-level Courses Taught (BEd (teacher education)):
- CURS 4130U – I/S Curriculum Studies I: Physics
- CURS 4131U – I/S Curriculum Studies II: Physics
- CURS 4141U – I/S Curriculum Studies II: Mathematics
- EDUC 3511U – I/S Learning with ICT
Graduate-level Courses Taught (MA/MEd level):
- EDUC 5401G – Introduction to Adult Education & Higher Education
- EDUC 5404G – Teaching in an Adult Learning Environment
- EDUC 5405G – Digital Technologies in Adult Education
Graduate Teaching Fellow, Queen’s University
- PROF 191 – Theory and Professional Practice Course / Practicum Supervision,
- CURR 351/352 Physics Methods (co-taught with Professor Tom Russell)
Previous School Teaching Positions
Language and Literacy Teacher, York Region District School Board
- Fully seconded secondary school teacher responsible for implementing district-wide “Learning Plus” initiative with a focus on developing literacy across the curriculum for a family of schools (secondary and elementary)
- Designed and offered ongoing professional development for teacher colleagues.
Physics Teacher, Toronto District School Board
- Designed and implemented science and physics curriculum for a mid-size Toronto secondary school.
- Supervised and supported students’ extra-curricular development through a variety of clubs, organizations, and field trips.